Wednesday, January 3

Christmas Morning Menu

After having spent all of Christmas Eve Eve shopping and cooking and then Christmas Eve cooking, I came down Christmas morning and fixed everyone breakfast. Mom will tell you that I woke up and came downstairs with a recipe in my hand. She's not lying. It's like a sickness.

CHRISTMAS MORNING MENU
Bagels with Cream Cheese and Tomatoes
Arugula, Cheese and Sun-Dried Tomato Frittata
Potato and Onion Cakes (Martha Stewart)

The bagels with cream cheese and tomatoes are obvious so I can't even create a recipe. As for the frittata, I think it would have been better with fresh tomatoes, but the sun-dried were tasty anyway. There were 7 of us so I beat 15 eggs with a dash of cream, a handful of chopped arugula, a cup of shredded Fontina (or Monterey Jack, I can't remember now) and a couple of Tablespoons of chopped S-D Tomatoes. I heated Butter in a pan until the foam subsided, added egg mixture, lowered heat, covered and let sit for about 15min. Because it was so big, I didn't bother with flipping it, but set it under the broiler instead. This was served with hot sauce.

POTATO AND ONION CAKES
These are divine. I got the recipe from Martha's magazine.

2 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened, plus more for tin
1 Tbsp packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp Red Wine vinegar
2 tsp finely chopped rosemary
1 small red onion sliced into rounds
4 medium Yukon gold potatoes, coarsely grated
1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 400F. Generously butter a muffin tin. Sprinkle each cup with salt, pepper and 1/2 tsp sugar. Drizzle each cup with 1/2 tsp each vinegar. Put a rosemary sprig in each cup and cover with an onion round (I ended up with quite a few outer onion rings as the rings you use should be the size of bottom of the cup). Set aside.

Toss potatoes with chopped rosemary and egg yolk, season with salt and pepper. Divide among cups. Dot with butter.

Bake until potatoes are tender and well browned, about 30 min. Remove and let cool 5 min. Run a knife around the edge of each cup, invert and serve.

These are so much better than has browns because the sugar and vinegar caramelizes the onions perfectly. They have a ton of flavor and not nearly the butter of a normal side of breakfast potatoes. So good. I wish I had a picture. But there you are. I didn't take any over Christmas.

No comments: