Tuesday, September 5

Broccoli with Roasted Peppers, Capers and Olives


I found my way back into the kitchen (much to Bryan's delight - apparently he was tired of frozen meals), and last night I made the following recipe as a side dish to a phyllo strudel with port wine sauce. I know, sounds good right? And it was, mostly, but the recipe needs some work so I'm not quite ready to share it yet.

The side was a hit though and not surprisingly it came from the Greens cookbook (I'm slowly working my way thru remember?)

I, of course, forgot to take pictures until after we'd eaten most of it, but it's pretty simple.

Broccoli with Roasted Peppers, Capers and Olives

INGREDIENTS

1 red and 1 yellow bell pepper
Light olive oil for the peppers
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp capers
12 Nicoise Olive (yeah right, good luck finding those, they didn't even have them at GELSONS!!! - substitute the readily available Kalamata version) pitted
3 scallions, white parts with some greens, finely chopped (I only recently learned, from Alison, that all these years I've been using the wrong part of the scallions - sigh)
1 Tbsp chopped parsley
1 tsp marjoram, chopped
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
dash of balsalmic vinegar
S & P
1 bunch broccoli (1 1/2 to 2 lbs)

Preheat oven to 400F. Halve peppers and remove seeds and veins. Brush both sides with olive oil and place on baking sheet skin side up. Bake until skins are wrinkled and slightly brown. When they cool, pull off skins and cut into thin strips. Mix peppers with garlic, olive oil, capers, olives (sliced in 1/2), scallions, parsley, marjoram, pepper flakes and balsalmic. Season with salt.

Blanch the broccoli and drain. Combine with the rest of the ingredients and toss together. Taste for salt, add more S & P and Oil and Vinegar if necessary along with a grind of black pepper.

I didn't, but you could add some feta cheese to make it more substantial.

No comments: