Saturday, June 17

Ginger Shrimp, Sugar Snap Pea, and Corn Stir-Fry (but don't call it that)

Last night I tried out this new recipe. It comes from epicurious, and it's surprisingly flavorful.

The trick with this recipe was in what I called it to Bryan. Bryan doesn't like stir-fry, although after this and on further consideration, it's not stir-fry he doesn't like so much as it is tofu in the wok with soy sauce. In truth, I think in this case stir-fry is a misnomer because even though it's prepared in a wok, it's really more of a saute. Regardless, it was delicious and I highly recommend it as a light summer dinner with some rice.

I came to this recipe because I had some sugar snap peas and corn from the organic delivery I had signed up with (though the next delivery will be my last because I'd rather head to the farmer's market - this was really an experiment in laziness).

At any rate...here it is. I apologize for the lack of pictures, my camera was charging while I was cooking, next time, pictures, I promise.

1 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled, deveined (I do the peeling and deveining myself because it's cheaper, though grosser)
2 Tbsp oil (canola, veg or peanut)
3 Tbsp minced, peeled fresh ginger
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dried crushed red pepper
1/2 pound sugar snap peas, strings removed
1 cup fresh corn kernels (cut from 2 ears)
1/2 cup diced red pepper
3 green onions, thinly sliced on diagonal
2 tsp sesame seeds

Mix shrimp, 1 tbsp oil, 1 1/2 tsp ginger, half of garlic, 1/2 tsp salt, and crushed red pepper in a medium bowl. Let stand in refrigerator for 1 hour.

Heat wok over high heat. Add shrimp mixture; saute until shrimp are just opaque in center, about 2 minutes. Transfer shrimp to bowl. Add 1 tbsp oil to wok, then add sugar snap peas, corn, bell pepper, green onions, 1 1/2 tsp ginger and remaining garlic. Stir-fry until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Return shrimp and any accumulated juices from bowl to wok; stir-fry 1 minute longer. Season w/salt and pepper. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.


See how easy that is? So super easy, and quick. I fixed some broccoli alongside, but we really didn't need it. This one is definitely going in the recipe bank for us. Bryan loved it so long as I don't call it stir-fry!

No comments: