Sunday, October 8

Happy Birthday Greg Lasagna

Today we celebrated my younger brother Greg's 22nd birthday. There's no better way to spend your birthday than doing construction work so he and I helped my dad out in the back of their house (more on this to follow).

For his birthday dinner Greg requested a lasagna, foolishly thinking of the kind you buy frozen at the market. There was no way either Mom or I were going to serve Greg frozen lasagna, but making a lasagna from scratch, while delicious, can take all day. Fortunately, Mom has become a Rachel Ray fan and recently watched an episode of 30 minute meals where she made a lasagna from ravioli, veggies, cheese and bashemel sauce. Or at least she saw the second half of the episode. I believe this is the actual recipe, though I don't know for sure since I didn't watch the show. At any rate it's something close to what Mom saw.

The point to all of this is that you much start with an unbelievable huge kitchen. Like this one:

That's not actually true. I just lust after my parents' kitchen as it has about 15xs the counter space that mine does.


In fact, what you need to start with is some veggies.

And I wasn't paying too close attention but I believe Mom sauteed green and red bell pepper, onion and eggplant with olive oil and garlic.


She also made a bechamel sauce using 3Tbsp flour, 3Tbsp butter and 3 cups milk. While all this was happening she cooked 1 package of ravioli to use as the pasta.

Then came the assembly. Bechamel, pasta and veggies first,

covered with cheese, Bechamel and some straight-from-the-jar Classico Sauce.
Repeat until all the ingrediants are used up. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. Eat veggies and drink wine while the lasagna cools and sets.

Happy Birthday Greg!

No comments: