Thursday, September 21

Sourdough Bread - Day 1

I am currently embarking on the most potentially terrifying baking experiment to date, namely: making sourdough bread. Here's the thing about sourdough bread, it's my favorite, but it also requires you to mix flour and water and let that sit out for three days and sour. Gross. So yesterday I mixed up some flour and water (I believe the ratio was 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flower to 1 cup water). It's now sitting on my counter, souring.


I remember one summer my mom was baking a lot of bread in her bread machine. At one point she decided to try to make sourdough and my memory is a little fuzzy on this, but I believe the starter turned green. And she had to feed it everyday. So if my sourdough started turns green and starts singing "Feed me Seymour" I think I'll follow her example and toss it out. Stay tuned for further updates on the process.

No comments: